|Montgomery Bell Academy enjoys a 147-year history as a college preparatory school for young men in grades 7-12, offering a progressive approach to traditional education. MBA provides for its students a determined balance among academics, athletics, and fine arts. |
As Middle Tennessee's only school for young men, MBA offers a unique educational setting. Here boys are immersed in an environment where trust and support are paramount. Because of this support, students see initiative, independence, and resourcefulness as the means to pursue self-discovery, develop leadership skills, and claim a sense of self-worth.
Some Points to Consider . . .
- Student body of 720 in grades 7-12
- MBA consistently does well in producing National Merit Scholars, with 21 Semifinalists and 17 Commended Scholars from the Class of 2013
- In 2010-2011, MBA featured 13 National Advanced Placement Scholars and 43 Advanced Placement Scholars of Distinction
- Entering students represent 34 different public and private schools
- The student-teacher ratio is 7:1, with an average class size of 14
- 23% of the student body receive more than $1.75 million in need-based financial aid
- Students took 526 AP Exams in 2012
- Average SAT scores were 200 points higher than the national average
- 100% of our student body is college-bound
- 25 AP classes and examinations offered
- National and regional awards in studio art
- 67% of faculty hold advanced degrees, including 15 doctorates
- MBA enjoys one of the top debate programs in the country. In 2005, MBA became the only school in the history of policy debate to win both first and second place at the national championship tournament. MBA debaters compete nationally and have won three national championships. MBA also hosts the prestigious Southern Bell Forum, the premier invitational competition in high school debate, on campus each January.
- Active community service is key to the MBA experience. Through the Service Club, the boys support such worthwhile causes as soup kitchen, peer tutoring, Backfield in Motion, Time to Rise, Hispanic Achievers Tutoring, Preston Taylor Homes Tutoring, and the Burundi Refugee Tutoring program
- The library houses a state-of-the-art digital language lab
- There are nine fully endowed faculty chairs: English, Science, Math, Fine Arts, History, Junior School, Interns, Leadership, and Humanities
- The school maintains foreign exchange programs with schools in Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, South Africa, China, Singapore, and Colombia
- The 150+ acre campus on Long Mountain near McMinnville, TN, has an observatory operable remotely from the Nashville campus
- The Honor Code is an integral part of life at MBA, promoting a strong sense of mutual trust and respect among all members of the MBA community.
- Named as one of the top 50 theater programs in the nation by the American High School Theater Festival
- More boys in Nashville Youth Symphony than any other school in Nashville
- Field space exclusively for Junior School athletes on 42nd Avenue in Sylvan Park
- MBA Junior School won the HVAC Inman All-Sports Trophy consecutively from 2005 through 2011
- 14 varsity sports with state championships in basketball, baseball, cross country, football, lacrosse, rifle, swimming, tennis, and track
|Alma Mater |
Hail MBA of thee we sing
Now and forever more.
Long may the bells of glory ring,
As in the days of yore.
Hail to thee! Hail to thee!
Where loyal hearts and friendship dwell.
On and On! Faithfully,
Hail Montgomery Bell!
Cardinal and Silver
Gentleman, Scholar, Athlete
Fortitudo per Scientiam