Wilson Language Travel Grant Eligibility:
1. At least two years of language study at Montgomery Bell Academy.
2. Open to modern language students in 10th and 11th grades who have not participated in a travel program for the same language. Preferential consideration will be given to those students who have already participated in a Wilson Language Immersion program.
3. Open to Latin students currently enrolled in Latin 3 Honors / Latin 4 Honors (or higher) and who have not already participated in a Latin in Rome program in the High School.
Criteria for selection:
- The student has an established track record of excellence as confirmed by his language teachers and other teachers both in and outside the classroom. The student has shown exceptional improvement and/or maintained superior performance in the language and has demonstrated keen interest in both the language and the culture of the country whose language he is studying and demonstrates such interest consistently in class.
- The student has demonstrated sufficient fluency in the language to be able to interact effectively with native speakers. Latin students should be able to sight read intermediate passages.
- The student has demonstrated positive contributions to the MBA and wider community through service to others.
- The student commits to use the target language throughout the travel.
- The student commits to a program of four weeks provided by one of the approved travel companies (or three weeks for Colombia exchange).
- For Modern language students: student commits to continuing his language study at MBA the following academic year by enrolling in the AP level course (or higher) and taking the AP exam unless special permission is granted by the Department Chair for another pathway. For Latin students: student commits to continuing his study of Latin at MBA the following academic year by enrolling in the AP level course and taking the AP exam (or enrolling in Latin V if he is currently enrolled in AP Latin).
- The student commits to use this use this experience and language skills to continue to enhance academic and extracurricular life at MBA and in the larger community.
- Students who do not already have a valid passport should begin the application process before submitting an application.
- Students should be aware that some programs may not be all-inclusive and may require additional fees. Any costs beyond those listed on the application will not be covered by this grant.
- Payments and arrangements are made through Montgomery Bell Academy in association with its travel agent and in communication with the programs selected.
Students are expected to research their programs of choice listed below before completing the application. In rare cases, other programs may be considered if a student finds one of particular interest that meets the criteria as established by the Montgomery Bell Academy World Languages Department.
Students on international travel programs may not delay or extend their in-country stay. All students must travel together as a group to and from the country.
Students need to be aware of additional costs in case quoted prices are not all inclusive. If any doubt exists, please contact the program before submitting the grant application, since the requested amount in the application will not be increased.